Take it day by day or moment by moment because it is always my choice and I am worth it!

Saturday, June 5, 2010

In the Beginning

My intention for this blog is to follow my journey to a healthier lifestyle. I am a little apprehensive about putting my life out there for people to read about. But here I go.

A little about what has started me on this journey. I am a type 2 diabetic with a few (ok more than just a few) pounds to lose. As a wife and mother of 3, I have decided it is time to make some changes in my life. I look forward to living a long life hopefully without complications from diabetes. I also want to be a better role model for my children. I am hoping this blog will help me to stay on that journey and share with you my ups and downs.

My story:

I was thinking back to when I remembered not worrying about my weight. I came to realize that my weight issues started around 5th grade or 6th grade. My thought is that puberty had something to do with it. My weight slowly started creeping up. By the time I graduated from high school I was about 30 pounds overweight. As you can see from the attached picture it is even more now.

Diabetes unfortunately runs in my family. At the age of 28 and pregnant with my third child, I developed gestational diabetes. It was supposed to go away after I have birth. Guess what it didn't, and I am know classified as a diabetic. I have 2 diabetic medicines I take along with 1 shot of insulin a day. I use to have great cholesterol and blood pressure levels. However, I am now on medication for those too (all because of the diabetes).

My Journey has started:

I started Weight Watchers on May 20th. My first week I was so excited about it and stayed on track faithfully. I have let most of my co-workers know what I am doing. They are very supportive. Friday morning comes and they all want to know how the week went. Week one in the bag and I was down 6 pounds.

Week 2 - I didn't track my food like I should have and had dinner out a couple of nights. I tried to make good choices but I know that I ate more than I had the week before. I was a little afraid to weigh in. I sucked it up and went to find that I had lost 1.4 pounds. Yeah, I am at a total of 7.4 pounds lost. I am ready to get back on track and follow the program properly. Track track track.

Today, was walk it day in Utah for Weight Watchers. They had different sites set-up around the state for people to walk a 5K. The idea sounded fun but I kept coming up with a reason not to go. Thanks to the persuasion of my oldest daughter, Kaitlyn, I decided to do it. With my mother and daughter in tow, I finished the walk. I completed it in 1 hour and 3 minutes. Love you mom and Kaitlyn for the support. I am already planning out the next one and hoping to improve my time.

Another accomplishment for me happened today as well. It has to do with checking my blood sugar. I know how important it is to check it everyday, however, if the number isn't around where it should be I find myself getting a little depressed. I decided to check it this morning. I was very shocked to find it at 115. I am used to seeing it over 140. This plan is working for me in so many ways. I am so thankful.

4 comments:

  1. I am so excited to see you doing the blog. It will be great for you to look back and know how far you have come. Keep it up you are doing great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for you! I'm so excited for you and hope you'll continue to share your story. This is awesome! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing!! I hope I can use it for my own motivation/inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love you mom and i'm here for you no matter what :] lets do this together and get healthy!! woot woot :P

    ReplyDelete